How to Teach Homeschool Sex Education

In the 9 years I have lived in the city, this is the first year I have seen bunny in the neighborhood. Until this year. In the spring I saw my first. Then another about a week later. Now I see a several a day, sometimes needing to avoid hitting them when I back the car out of the garage. In fact, did you know that a group of rabbits is called a herd? I have noticed something about bunnies. They reproduce like rabbits! And that reminds me... Have you taught your children the Facts of Life?

I asked my sons what was their favorite books that taught them sex education. The both had the same feedback. They both enjoyed the book "Preparing for Adolescence" by James Dobson. My husband would take one child each week to ice cream. They would discuss a small section of the book while having ice cream together. These "dad dates" became a very big deal in our family, and over the years really helped us communicate.

But teaching your children not to reproduce like rabbits is not something you teach just once. The concept of respect and marriage is something that we returned to often. Here are some of the other things we used.

Passport to Purity

Originally intended to be a weekend away with a pre-teen, we had to adjust it to fit our family. We would have liked to do this curriculum the "right" way, but it just did not fit in our schedule. Instead, my husband taught this curriculum to my boys when I was away for a homeschool convention. I prepared all the crafts and activities in advance, so he did not have to do any of the planning. While I was gone, he read the workbook and did all the learning activities with my boys together. It was very effective!

These are important discussions to have with your teenagers. Do not let these things go unsaid! Be proactive and talk with them. If you do not talk to your teens they will assume a lot of things, but they would not really know how you feel about the issues they face. Using a book can help you to guide your discussions. As a nurse I know there are few things more important than these discussions about reproduction. This is an important subject, and you do not want your kids doing what the rest of the herd is doing!

Sex education is just one of the many important lessons you need to teach your kids before they go off to college. Failing to prepare children for college is one of the "5 Biggest Mistakes Parents Make When Homeschooling High School." Learn how to avoid all 5 mistakes in my free e-mail mini-course. You can claim it at